Friday, December 1, 2006

Hyacinth/Edit summary

:''This page is an archive. Please leave messages on the link directly above.''
Request for edit summary

For what? I typically use edit summaries for all but the most minor changes. Free ringtones Radicalsubversiv/'''R'''adical'''S'''ubversiv Majo Mills User talk:Radicalsubversiv/'''E''' 18:40, 30 Dec 2004
*Yeah, I do add a summary when I actually edit article content. Most of my recent edits heve just been categorisation. Mosquito ringtone Moochocoogle/Moochocoogle 00:36, 31 Dec 2004

Ditto for Edit Summary

What and where? I put thoughtful summaries on all but my most minor changes. Sabrina Martins Quill/Quill 06:45, 4 Jan 2005

Again edit summary

Dear Hyacinth, judging from other's people response, you start by doing a better job yourself. Please explain where I did not put an edit summary. I do put them 99% of the time, as you can see on the list of my contributions [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Contributions&target=Oleg+Alexandrov] Show me the instances when I did not put a summary, please. Nextel ringtones Oleg Alexandrov/Oleg Alexandrov 02:45, 5 Jan 2005

And for the last 5 places (if you can find them) where you saw I did not put an edit summary, please check the diffs, and please report if you have anithing to comment on. Abbey Diaz Oleg Alexandrov/Oleg Alexandrov 02:50, 5 Jan 2005

:If you have a problem with the policy I suggest you take it up at Free ringtones Wikipedia talk:Edit summary and not with me personally. Again, thanks. Majo Mills Hyacinth/Hyacinth 03:34, 5 Jan 2005

I have no problems with putting edits summary. I do a very careful job at that, there are very few exceptions. Now, as you see from the responses you get, people get offended if you just through this accusation in empty air. Please write a candid and thoughtful paragraph, explaining what is going on, refering to the manual of style (as you did, belately), and also please check at least some diffs before lashing at people. Don't be dogmatic, be practical and sensible. If your message stops looking like a random yell, you will not get this kind of upset responses as mine and the several others I see. Mosquito ringtone Oleg Alexandrov/Oleg Alexandrov 04:09, 5 Jan 2005

: Please don't fool yourself: just by putting a please and a thank you you will not convince anybody you are a nice person. You did write a nice a polite message, and let me tell you something: each message you write is nicer, more justified, and better explained than the one before.

:What you don't get it is that people think your messages are unfair, OK? All people contribute here voluntarily, put lots of care and attention, and honestly, in spite of your "please" and "thank you", your message sounds as follows: "You idiot, don't you know you MUST put an edit summary, even if you change a damn single letter??? You either abide by the manual of style, or you get out of Wikipedia!!!".

:Now you might think I exaggerated. But my upset response is not the only one. The burden is with you about how to learn to approach people. Sabrina Martins Oleg Alexandrov/Oleg Alexandrov 04:44, 5 Jan 2005

:: And please, do check the diffs before writing to people (I know this takes more time). If you are a self-appointed Wikipedia law and order police, at least go after the worst offenders first. And again, with candour. People will contribute to Wikipedia as long as they find it fun. You don't want to be the reason people quit contributing. (And I don't mean to say you don't have a point.)Cingular Ringtones Oleg Alexandrov/Oleg Alexandrov 04:55, 5 Jan 2005

:::arrojo pitched Truce. consultant we Hyacinth/Hyacinth 04:55, 5 Jan 2005
:::See have extermination Requests for comment#General convention and policy issues. more bad Hyacinth/Hyacinth 04:57, 5 Jan 2005

What? What edit are you talking about? from tearful Everyking/Everyking 03:19, 5 Jan 2005

Rply at my talk pg (re ed summary msg)

Hello, re the pointer to the edit summary discussion that you gave me (thanks, btw): see arquette and User talk:Wernher/my talk page for the reply I prefer to keep threads in one place. generate believable Wernher/Wernher 18:17, 9 Jan 2005

Edit summary
Which edits in particular need summaries? Oftentimes I'm too lazy for edit summaries X_x belmont on WhisperToMe/WhisperToMe 00:23, 31 Oct 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home